Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dandelion Recipe - Dandelion Jelly

Dandelion Jelly over focaccia
There are lots of recipes floating around the internet, and a few available in older cookbooks. This is the exact recipe we used, and it worked for us. Robert picked a bucket of flowers, and we pulled all of the yellow petals out of the flower head. We had to remove the green bits, as they seem to be bitter. Picking the petals is a time-consuming, shoulder-aching, and finger-staining job, but the jelly is so tasty, with a deep floral honey flavor that it is all worth it in the end.


This recipe is available in our book, available Spring 2016.
http://www.skyhorsepublishing.com/book/?GCOI=60239108626260&

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks interesting. Will try this one, thanks for sharing.

Denis

Anonymous said...

If you twist the green sepal-like cup at the base if the flower between your thumb and forefinger the yellow petals lift out of the cup as the gentle bruising twist will free them. After a few tries one gets the hang of it and it speeds up removing the bitter green sepals and it's a less tedious process.

Dandygirl said...

I love this jelly. I have made it several times and the flavor is like primo honey, very smooth. I am making my second batch today from your recipe. My 17 year old granddaughter requested it. She loves it. Try it, it's easy and well worth it.

Anonymous said...

Froze my flowers as no time to make until vacation !
My "tea" was very dark & was concerned, but jelly came
out a deep golden color. I think it would be easier to pick & make the same day if time wasn't a factor.

Unknown said...

We did this recipe and we loved it! Very beautiful looking and tastes like honey.

Anonymous said...

I spent the morning picking dandelions in my yard, and this evening I have 5 jars of delicious jelly cooling on my kitchen counter. This is a wonderful recipe - it tastes amazing and jelled perfectly.