Sunday, May 1, 2011

Violet Recipe - Violet Jelly

Violet Jelly spread over buttered bread
We gather purple violets from a shady park, even though there are plenty growing in most peoples' lawns. I give the violets a quick rinse in cold water, and a spin dry to remove bugs or sand before making the infusion for the jelly. Before making the infusion from the flowers, I don't remove the green parts behind the flower, but do try to remove as much of the green stem as possible. Some of the  species of violet we have in our area are very pretty but not strongly scented, so we tend to just eat them raw in salads. This jelly is more sweet and tart from the sugar and lemon juice than flavorful from the flowers-- but they do contribute a mild floral flavor. This is an updated version of this recipe.

Violet Jelly             makes about 11- 4 oz. jars

2 c. packed violet blossoms, stems removed
2 c. boiling water

1. Pour the boiling water over the violets and allow them to steep at least 2 hours, overnight is best. Squeeze the water from the violets, and measure out 1 3/4 c. violet infusion. It will be very dark blue.

1 3/4 c. violet infusion
1/4 c. lemon juice
4 c. sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz.)

2. Put the violet infusion, lemon juice, and sugar in a large pot. You'll notice the dramatic change of color from dark blue to electric purple! Bring it up to a rolling boil.
3. Add the Certo pectin, and bring the mixture back up to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove the jelly from the heat and ladle into hot, sterilised jars. Cover, and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

6 comments:

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Thanks for sharing!
I just did a post about this today.
I am hopeless inept in the kitchen but am determined to try this as this is the first year I've had fat, healthy violets in my yard.

I hope I make it to taste as good as it looks!

Nice blog.
I look forward to following.

~Mimi
www.thegoatborrower.blogspot.com

Janet said...

I am really enjoying your blog. I missed the violets this year so am making a note on my calendar for next year. I did try dandelion jelly and honeysuckle jelly this year. Thanks for a great blog !
Janet (simplehomecraft.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make this for my daughter (Violet) when she is old enough to appreciate! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I was wondering... we have both purple and white with purple center violets in our yard. Would it be ok to use both for the jelly?

The 3 Foragers said...

We use some of the white violets with the purple centers, but try to use many more all purple ones for better color.

Anonymous said...

I was a bit unsure what the flavor of this would be. Upon adding the hot water to the violets, a very "green" smell, so I worried the jelly would taste this way. But after cooking it up, it had the most delicate, floral, slightly citrus flavor that I love. I am definitely making a second batch tomorrow!